Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Writing Process....

So let me just begin by saying I'm very excited to have some actual instruction on how to teach writing this semester!  While I have always loved reading, the writing part (at least creatively, or for fun) was always more of a challenge for me.  I spent, well, all of college avoiding creative writing classes like the plague, perhaps due to (once again) the fact that I feel entirely duped by my own high school English experience.  It wasn't until I took a Literary Non-Fiction course after graduation that I realized how much I actually do love writing and the writing process as well!  I am so interested in explicitly learning some of the techniques of recognizing and promoting great writing, as well as how to encourage and inspire great writing in my students next year! 

...but not nearly as excited as I am to finally have a blog.  Apparently, it's about time.  

That being said, I wish I could say the same for this text, that of course being the Dornan et. al book Within and Beyond the Writing Process in the Secondary English Classroom.  While the authors definitely make very valid points about the writing as a process, I think a lot of the information about Writer's Workshop was a little redundant and a little obvious for me (ex. "how to start a conference" (61), or the seven pages devoted to journal writing, or "the j" (48), alone.  However, I can see the value in describing the writing process from beginning to end, in that it really did drive home their point about "all writing as rewriting."  I agree that in order to create better writers, we need to encourage our students to write all the time, to rewrite that writing, and then reflect and write on the rewrite.  Good writers write all the time.  And as Atwell quoted (I believe it was Vonnegut!) in her article, "it is a lot like inflating a blimp with a bicycle pump.  Anybody can do it.  All it takes is time" (56).  I hope to instill some of these beliefs in my own students, and show them that with patience and persistence with their writing, they can avoid some of the fears and hesitations I had with my own high school English experiences.  

I really did like what they had to say about keeping student motivation through relevant and personal topics.  Like the literature course last semester, students excel most in the classroom when they can relate to and find interest in whatever they're reading or writing about, and it's up to the teacher to help make these connections.  I think the most valuable thing I got out of this chapter was when the authors quoted James E. Miller (in the 1970s, coincidentally) for saying that "when writing is motivated by such inner needs, students will draw on their own rich store of linguistic resources to say what they mean" (37).  I think in this way, providing rich, relevant material for students to choose from will lead to better writing because they will stretch their own thinking, their own voice, and their own style simply because they are intrinsically motivated to do so.  If they feel compelled to get the message out about a particular topic, story, or meaningful or significant event in their own lives, they will challenge their own thinking which in turn will lead to improved writing and better communicators.

Proof of this was at my observation on Monday.  The 11th grade class was working on an "I-Search" paper, which is essentially a research paper about anything personally relevant to the students (hence, the "I"), but they must conduct primary interviews from relevant sources along with their secondary sources.  While they were just in the pre-writing and gathering information stage, I was walking around and really saw how genuinely excited the students were about their proposed topics.  Students were really opening up to me about their topics and what I thought about it, and I had only been there one day.  Things from one student researching schizophrenia because her brother was recently diagnosed with the disease, to a student interested in the veterinary medicine program at the U, to another writing on chemical dependency because he admittedly just spent a couple months in rehab.  As the text did suggest, using personal needs and experiences has already paid off by the quality of work and ideas the students are coming up with.  I am already so impressed by their engagement and enthusiasm with the assignment, and am very excited to see how their papers turn out!


LINK:

As the homepage suggests, this is a website with "interactive prompts, lessons, and resources designed for teachers, students, and--most importantly--lifelong writers!"  Really though, this is a good resource for teachers, it includes lessons, information on the writing process and genres, and other good ideas and activities for the classroom.


4 comments:

  1. I am going into the classroom for my first observation today, and can only hope to find the level of engagement you describe in your cooperating teacher's classroom.

    I completely know where you're coming from about bad experiences with creative writing; I remember being close to tears my freshman or sophomore year here at the U over the frustrating process of making a short story. I felt overwhelmed and didn't quite know what was expected of me. I think that students really need space to get their creative juices flowing without the pressure of the end product, I think this is what I really took away from the Dornan chapters. Unfortunately, I think many teachers are reluctant to give their students exploratory space thinking they do not have the time.

    See you Thursday,

    Kelly Rudh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for both your personal examples and current observations examples, Kim. They supplement your points about Dornan and Atwell quite nicely. Don't underestimate the value of your bad experiences with writing. They may actually make you a better teacher of writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, I completely agree about "the J." Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim!

    First off, I believe that the world is in fact better off since you created a blog. Your voice is quite original in its sassy yet intelligent way. As a reader, it's a pleasure to read about your experiences and thoughts because of your consistent tone.

    I completely agree with your thoughts on revision. Like I mentioned in my blog, the best papers I've written have been the result of several revisions.

    Further, I actually had similar writing experiences to you during my high school years. I can't remember ever feeling good about my creative writing. Sure, I knew how to write an essay...but I never learned how to confidently tell a story. To this day, I sort of believe that telling a story does not come naturally to everyone. Isn't that sad? I mean, so many people claim that telling stories is part of our humanity. Am I not human?!

    I contribute this lack of confidence to the de-emphasis schools currently put on the arts. An English classroom is seen as a place to learn grammar, the "great" writers, theme/character/plot. What about simple communication? The power of imagination and creativity? Yeah, like you said, we get the opportunity to do that post-college! Childhood is the home of imagination. It really doesn't make sense to stomp out this creativity in order to write some uninspiring five paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete